Google Glasses

Royal

Google Glasses

Post by Royal » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Right now my Google Glass is sitting next to my laptop. It's resting ... er, charging. From the moment I picked it up this morning, my first hours with it have been a whirlwind.

At 9 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning, I walked into a brightly lit Manhattan loft and was greeted by Matt Kingsbury, a cheery "Glass guide" who'd walk me through setting up the gadget for the first time. I kept wanting to brush him off — buddy, I already memorized all the Help documents! I've been itching to get my hands on this for ages! He did caution me not to wear Glass all day, however: I should ease into using it, he told me.

On the elevator, as I was leaving the orientation, an odd thing happened. With a grin, a total stranger leaned close to my ear and said, "OK Glass! Take a picture." I recovered from the strangeness of the moment to point out that the display wasn't active — meaning that Glass didn't listen for the command — but what if it had been the case? It might have been one of the first acts of ... would you call that photo-bombing? Glass-bombing? Other people can issue voice commands, I remembered — that could get creepy.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadge ... -6C9690340
Can't wait to see those things around. :)

Pigeon

Re: Google Glasses

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 am

I see a market for sign makers - No google glasses on premise.

Too late

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 01, 2013 12:14 am

While I searched for the sign picture, I noticed to almost all of the men pictured with the glass had beards. What's up with that.

Royal

Post by Royal » Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 am

When I protested my brother's mustache in college I gave him a shirt for his birthday that stated "Never Trust a Man With a Mustache".

I presume it has something to do with a poker face...

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 am

Never Trust a Man With a Mustache
Would you?

Royal

Post by Royal » Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 am

Other variables involved to make that decision.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Security...

A smartphone hacker has provided conclusive proof that the futuristic computing headset known as Google Glass can be surreptitiously modified to give anyone with physical access almost complete control over the device. He called on Google engineers to improve the security of Glass—which currently is available only to developers—before it becomes available to the general public.

Google engineers have stressed that the head-mounted computing device—which can capture nearby conversations and images and transmit them over the Internet—was meant to be hacked. But until now, it has been easy for end users to know when their all-seeing, all-hearing headsets were modified. All that has changed now that security consultant Jay "saurik" Freeman has fashioned an alternative way to gain almost unfettered "root" control. Using an exploit discovered seven months ago to root smartphones running Google's Android operating system, it takes him less than five minutes to hack the new device. From there, he can install a customized operating system that silently monitors everything the device sees or hears.

Because it requires a device to be put into a special "debug mode," the exploit isn't considered much of a security threat for smartphone users. After all, debug mode can be invoked only after a user has unlocked the handset using a PIN code or other security mechanism. Glass, by contrast, has no form of screenlock, making it possible for someone with even brief access to a headset to make persistent changes.

"With the security exploit, I can pick up your Glass, turn on debug mode, and get root access on it in a way that doesn't leave a trace," Freeman told Ars in a telephone interview. "Then I can modify any of the software on your device. I can make it so that for the rest of your Glass' lifetime I'm in there, too, able to get access to your camera, listen in on your microphone. I can turn off debug mode and make it look like there's nothing changed from your perspective. And when you get it back, you're screwed."

He went on to describe how a hacked Glass headset could have a broad consequences for users. Since glass sees passwords and PIN codes being entered, the security of computers and smartphones is affected. Even physical security is impacted, since Glass can record building access codes and take pictures of keys that are detailed enough to allow copies to be made. "Nothing is safe once your Glass has been hacked," he warned.

More

Royal

Post by Royal » Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm

OK, lame scene.

Implying glass or users there of are lame?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Glass can and will be used to log much info about people. How long before the first case of violence against a glass user for making someone upset over being recorded. It's a little more sneaky then walking around with a video cam pointed at people.