Alien Abuction as a phenomenon regurgitated ...

Mur

Re: Alien Abuction as a phenomenon regurgitated ...

Post by Mur » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 am

MrPenny wrote:Or the other way around.
Yeah...exactly

Truth is we don't know what we are dealing with.

But I don't believe folks are just imagining 100% of whatever the phenomena is......sure...many folks lie and there are hoaxers for sure.....but I don't believe every abduction tales is false......only one needs to be true.

But paranormal activity seems to have always been with us

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 am

For some reason, I have less of a problem with aliens than angels and demons.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:43 am

Mur wrote:
MrPenny wrote:Or the other way around.
Yeah...exactly

Truth is we don't know what we are dealing with.

But I don't believe folks are just imagining 100% of whatever the phenomena is......sure...many folks lie and there are hoaxers for sure.....but I don't believe every abduction tales is false......only one needs to be true.

But paranormal activity seems to have always been with us
I completely agree with that. Something's up, I think. More than just people's brains going screwy and hoaxes.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:51 am

When multiple people all see something then haywire would have to be affecting them all. A bit hard to believe.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:59 am

As a result of what I saw when I was eleven, I've always been interested in descriptions that were similar. I'm kind of leery and distrusting of the different tags that people put on their experiences because how the hell do they know for sure? Especially when they start waxing words with a new agey type shine.

That being said, the interesting thing for me when I started checking out other angles to what I experienced were the descriptatory words used to describe certain beings through the ages.

Shining beings or the Shining One:
"Devas" - Sanskrit
"Lugus" - Celtic
"Bel" Celtic again denoting shining gods like Belanus
Some Afrcan tribes call god the Shining One

This all could be just a personification of Sun worship but then again, who knows?

Maybe there are two very different phenomeons (aliens versus paranormal) but our brains can only process them in the same way.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:02 am

That's a good point. There can be multiple paranormal events happening all at the same time.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:04 am

Maybe there are two very different phenomeons (aliens versus paranormal) but our brains can only process them in the same way.
That is an interesting theory.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:11 am

I read a theory about the Israelites and how their view of the world was very pragmatic. Example - a new day started when the sun went down and ended at the next sundown. Darkness before light.

So, if you look at Cherubrim and take away the vowels, it's krbooom. Like the sound of a rocket taking off. Some believe those angels were actually aliens.

Pana

Post by Pana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:27 am

Dr. Chris French from Goldsmiths College in the UK, conducted a moderate study on some experiencers. Included were 19 abductees (8 male, 11 female). A control group was matched by age and gender. The study looked for psychological differences between the two groups, for differences in susceptibility to false memories, and for differences in ESP and PK abilities. I haven't been able to find all the data but here is his conclusion from 2005:

"In general our results are consistent with those psychological models of the alien encounter experience that posit that such anomalous experiences may be a reflection of problems with reality monitoring (Johnson & Raye, 1981), that is, our ability to distinguish between events which take place out in the real world and those that occur only in our subjective mental space (via imagination, fantasy, dreams and so on). Modern theories of both hallucinations and false memories are often conceptualised in terms of problems with reality monitoring. Absorption, dissociativity and fantasy proneness have all been shown to be correlated with susceptibility to false memories (French, 2003). However, these results by no means prove that such explanations are correct. At least two other explanations of the psychological profile of experiencers would have to be ruled out first. The first is that a particular type of psychological profile is required if one is to be psychologically open to experiencing genuine paranormal and related phenomena (such as alien encounters), if indeed such phenomena genuinely exist. The second possibility is that the psychological profile that we see in the experiencers is a consequence of their experience and not a causal factor at all."

My heads all twirly right now and am having a hard time understanding the above. If anyone would care to dumb it down for me, that would be appreciated.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:31 am

Pana wrote:Dr. Chris French from Goldsmiths College in the UK, conducted a moderate study on some experiencers. Included were 19 abductees (8 male, 11 female). A control group was matched by age and gender. The study looked for psychological differences between the two groups, for differences in susceptibility to false memories, and for differences in ESP and PK abilities. I haven't been able to find all the data but here is his conclusion from 2005:

"In general our results are consistent with those psychological models of the alien encounter experience that posit that such anomalous experiences may be a reflection of problems with reality monitoring (Johnson & Raye, 1981), that is, our ability to distinguish between events which take place out in the real world and those that occur only in our subjective mental space (via imagination, fantasy, dreams and so on). Modern theories of both hallucinations and false memories are often conceptualised in terms of problems with reality monitoring. Absorption, dissociativity and fantasy proneness have all been shown to be correlated with susceptibility to false memories (French, 2003). However, these results by no means prove that such explanations are correct. At least two other explanations of the psychological profile of experiencers would have to be ruled out first. The first is that a particular type of psychological profile is required if one is to be psychologically open to experiencing genuine paranormal and related phenomena (such as alien encounters), if indeed such phenomena genuinely exist. The second possibility is that the psychological profile that we see in the experiencers is a consequence of their experience and not a causal factor at all."

My heads all twirly right now and am having a hard time understanding the above. If anyone would care to dumb it down for me, that would be appreciated.
Sure, the test found that these people who see these things are susceptible to false memories - in other words, the hypnotist puts them there or some other explanation.
The other two reasons for this could be:
1. you need to have a certain psych profile to see the phenomena (the same profile as those who are susceptible to false memories);
2. your psych profile changes to the one in question AFTER going through a paranormal experience.