NASA satellite expected to crash to Earth Friday 9-23-11

UFOs have a separate forum.
Pigeon

NASA satellite expected to crash to Earth Friday 9-23-11

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Probable Crash Zone Covers Almost Entire Earth

The Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) is finally plunging back to earth on Sept. 23, Friday, but NASA scientists are unsure about the location of its fall.

The UARS, launched on Sept. 15, 1991, by the space shuttle Discovery. Originally designed for a three-year mission, UARS measured chemical compounds found in the ozone layer, wind and temperature in the stratosphere, as well as the energy input from the sun. Together, these measurements helped define the role of Earth's upper atmosphere in climate and climate variability. The 35-foot-long, 15-foot-diameter UARS was decommissioned on Dec. 14, 2005.

According to the last estimation, UARS should crash somewhere between 57 degrees north latitude and 57 degrees south latitude which means crash zone covers most of the planet, particularly the inhabited parts.

The out-of-control, out-of-fuel 6-ton satellite is currently orbiting the earth and succumbing to its gravity.

Talking about its probable crashing zone, Steve White, a Fresno State Physics Professor, said "It's a hard calculation problem; we don't know the exact instant when it's going to come down, and it's moving really fast. It actually orbits the Earth every 90 minutes."

However, scientists say the risk of getting hit by the satellite parts is almost negative as most of it will burn up after entering the atmosphere. Only about 1,200 pounds should survive, scattered over perhaps a 500-mile-wide area, NASA said.

UARS was deployed from the shuttle Discovery in 1991 to study Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with the sun. The $750 million mission measured the concentrations and distribution of gases which cause ozone depletion, climate change, and it also studied the dynamics of the upper atmosphere.

NASA says readings from UARS provided conclusive evidence that chlorine in the atmosphere, originating from human-produced chlorofluorocarbons, is at the root of the polar ozone hole.

Researchers have confirmed that no hazardous material is left in the satellite. However, they have urged people to not to touch any fallen parts.

ibtimes.com

Pigeon

Re: NASA satellite expected to crash to Earth Friday 9-23-1

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:59 pm

NASA's Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, or UARS, is expected to re-enter Earth's atmosphere in late September or early October 2011, almost six years after the end of a productive scientific life. Although the spacecraft will break into pieces during re-entry, not all of it will burn up in the atmosphere.

The risk to public safety or property is extremely small, and safety is NASA's top priority. Since the beginning of the Space Age in the late-1950s, there have been no confirmed reports of an injury resulting from re-entering space objects. Nor is there a record of significant property damage resulting from a satellite re-entry.

It is too early to say exactly when UARS will re-enter and what geographic area may be affected, but NASA is watching the satellite closely and will keep you informed. Visit this page for updates on the satellite's orbital track and predicted re-entry date.

NASA will post updates weekly until four days before the anticipated re-entry, then daily until about 24 hours before re-entry, and then at about 12 hours, six hours and two hours before re-entry. The updates will come from the Joint Space Operations Center of U.S. Strategic Command at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., which works around the clock detecting, identifying and tracking all man-made objects in Earth orbit, including space junk.

The actual date of re-entry is difficult to predict because it depends on solar flux and the spacecraft's orientation as its orbit decays. As re-entry draws closer, predictions on the date will become more reliable.

As of Sept. 8, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 152 miles by 171 miles (245 km by 275 km) with an inclination of 57 degrees. Because the satellite's orbit is inclined 57 degrees to the equator, any surviving components of UARS will land within a zone between 57 degrees north latitude and 57 degrees south latitude. It is impossible to pinpoint just where in that zone the debris will land, but NASA estimates the debris footprint will be about 500 miles long.

If you find something you think may be a piece of UARS, do not touch it. Contact a local law enforcement official for assistance.

NASA UARS link

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:00 pm

NASA
Update #4
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:12:09 AM CDT

As of Sept. 18, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 133 mi by 149 mi (215 km by 240 km). Re-entry is expected Sept. 23, plus or minus a day.

itai
Fashion Show

Post by itai » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 am

itai
Fashion Show

Post by itai » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:34 am

if im not dead or donnie darko'd when it hits.. i really hope its on my property so i get rich. i will wear a neckbrace.. and take nasa to court and get some dough.

who wants to party ?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 am

#
Update #5
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 03:20:32 PM CDT

As of Sept. 19, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 130 mi by 143 mi (210 km by 230 km). Re-entry is expected Sept. 23, plus or minus a day.

Royal

Post by Royal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 pm

itai wrote:if im not dead or donnie darko'd when it hits.. i really hope its on my property so i get rich. i will wear a neckbrace.. and take nasa to court and get some dough.

who wants to party ?
As your financial advisor Casey Anthony, I highly recommend you don't blow all your "dough" .

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Pigeon wrote:

Probable Crash Zone Covers Almost Entire Earth

The Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) is finally plunging back to earth on Sept. 23, Friday, but NASA scientists are unsure about the location of its fall.

The UARS, launched on Sept. 15, 1991, by the space shuttle Discovery. Originally designed for a three-year mission, UARS measured chemical compounds found in the ozone layer, wind and temperature in the stratosphere, as well as the energy input from the sun. Together, these measurements helped define the role of Earth's upper atmosphere in climate and climate variability. The 35-foot-long, 15-foot-diameter UARS was decommissioned on Dec. 14, 2005.

According to the last estimation, UARS should crash somewhere between 57 degrees north latitude and 57 degrees south latitude which means crash zone covers most of the planet, particularly the inhabited parts.

The out-of-control, out-of-fuel 6-ton satellite is currently orbiting the earth and succumbing to its gravity.

Talking about its probable crashing zone, Steve White, a Fresno State Physics Professor, said "It's a hard calculation problem; we don't know the exact instant when it's going to come down, and it's moving really fast. It actually orbits the Earth every 90 minutes."

However, scientists say the risk of getting hit by the satellite parts is almost negative as most of it will burn up after entering the atmosphere. Only about 1,200 pounds should survive, scattered over perhaps a 500-mile-wide area, NASA said.

UARS was deployed from the shuttle Discovery in 1991 to study Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with the sun. The $750 million mission measured the concentrations and distribution of gases which cause ozone depletion, climate change, and it also studied the dynamics of the upper atmosphere.

NASA says readings from UARS provided conclusive evidence that chlorine in the atmosphere, originating from human-produced chlorofluorocarbons, is at the root of the polar ozone hole.

Researchers have confirmed that no hazardous material is left in the satellite. However, they have urged people to not to touch any fallen parts.

ibtimes.com

To me, this is frakking hilarious. This case must be one of those known unknowns that can be dealt with accordingly.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Well lemme tell ya. If that fucking thing falls on my garage, I'm suing the bastards. End transmission. And the Itai thinks she's got a neck brace ready? Fuck, mine will be the size of a Macy's balloon.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Whatever you do, don't touch it!!!!!!