Washington state nuclear plant briefly evacuated

Pigeon

Re: Washington state nuclear plant briefly evacuated

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:19 pm

I'd hate to be the new guy there....

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Pigeon wrote:I'd hate to be the new guy there....
Like a game of nuclear hot potato.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Is hydrogen normal? In reference to Fukushima...

Regardless, the temperature of some of the fuel rod cladding exceeded 1200 °C, initiating a reaction between the Zircaloy and water. This oxidizing reaction produces hydrogen gas, which mixes with the gas-steam mixture being vented.

Link

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:37 pm

OK, normal part of the reactor deterioration.

But then, just how bad has it deteriorated.

The Fukushima Daiichi reactors, like most nuclear reactors, are made of metal and cooled by water. These are mostly made of zirconium alloy; many other reactors are made of stainless steel. These were cooled by light water, H2O; many other reactors, particularly in Canada, are cooled by heavy water, D2O. Whatever the metal, and whatever type of water is used to cool it, all nuclear-reactor metals will corrode in water at some rate in the presence of intense radiation and hot water or steam. This corrosion goes on continuously, and usually quite slowly, forming a metal oxide, usually adherent, and hydrogen gas. Corrosion is worse during a nuclear accident where cooling power is diminished and temperatures are higher, but hydrogen-producing corrosion is a normal part of all reactors, occurring even when the reactors are shut down.

Hydrogen from the corrosion enters the liquid or steam coolant where, for most of the time, it is merely a nuisance. The hydrogen contributes to hydrogen embrittlement and swelling of the nuclear materials, shortening the reactor life. The hydrogen induces excess pressure in the steam line equal to the partial pressure of the hydrogen; in boiling water reactors, it also interferes with heat transfer from the steam. Because of these nuisances, every now and again the hydrogen is vented. Venting is a normal part of reactor operation; pressure is relieved by venting a small amount of hydrogen-steam mix from a cooler part of the line. Ideally, this hydrogen-steam mix is captured before it reaches the environment, but for a light water reactor, it is only mildly radioactive, and most plant licenses allow a small amount of venting directly to the environment without further cleanup. Occasional, small explosions are not uncommon since the steam contains a significant content of hydrogen, and hydrogen is quite explosive.

Linl

Egg

Post by Egg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:41 pm

I guess that's impossible to say. It seems like there was just a pipe leak and the hydrogen was "vented" into the inhabitable parts of the reactor.

I'm more worried about all the workers jetting out of there!

Ozfactor

Post by Ozfactor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Pam wrote:Not sure where it is in Washington.... but I am only half an hour away from the Border Crossing.

I might need to get some of those Iodine pills soon.
Don't do those pills. Get raw dried kelp.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
Emerson

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Egg wrote:If I remember correctly, all of our nuke plants are outdated.
Of course they are....they were all built in the seventies. Thorium reactors.....the way to go.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:08 am

If I remember correctly, all of our nuke plants are outdated.
They were out dated before they were built.
Credo quia absurdum.

Egg

Post by Egg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 am

Dr Exile wrote:
If I remember correctly, all of our nuke plants are outdated.
They were out dated before they were built.
That's comforting. HA!!!!