Motivation, depression, I don't really know what is wrong..

tao

Motivation, depression, I don't really know what is wrong..

Post by tao » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 pm

It seems like I'm always cycling through different modes of engagement with the world. For instance, I'll very often spend two weeks only watching videos. Then of I spent a while thinking and thinking of some way to improve my situation. Then, possibly, more time on YouTube watching people play video games or days of documentaries. Then I feel a rising of energy. I feel motivated, creative, and capable of accomplishing my goals. I've started businesses, tried to work on eBay several times as well as Amazon. The point is that all seems to amount to nothing. It doesn't last long enough to finish my plans. You could call me lazy but it seems like a bigger problem, or rather that laziness doesn't seem like a very comprehensive model of what's happening.

I am suffering, and I don't know how to fix the situation.

The obvious answer is to stop thinking so much and just work, I agree, logically to me it still seems completely possible, yet I have been unable to do it.

I am sure everyone experiences this to some extent; I would really like to hear what you guys think. Maybe if you ask some questions the problem will become clearer.

I just can't seem to find a solution that works; time as always keeps marching along and I just feel very stuck.

Pigeon

Re: Motivation, depression, I don't really know what is wron

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 pm

I think you have run across the fact that reasonably hard work and honesty gets a person almost nothing in today's world.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Do you use drugs? If so, stop it and get the fog out of your brain.

That's my advice, take it or leave it.

tao

Post by tao » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm

TraumaT wrote:Do you use drugs? If so, stop it and get the fog out of your brain.

That's my advice, take it or leave it.
I understand constant use of certain drugs have been correlated with motivation, but what is the alternative. Without it I feel miserable, with it I feel insightful. I think if society stopped associating it with laziness the perception of the individual would change as well. There is no doubt in my mind it enhances creativity, and personally I believe most of the negative stereotypes tend to become self-fulfilling prophecies. You may be right, but I know lots of examples of successful people smoking. And if I speculated further I would say the ones affected most strongly in that couch potato way are the ones that feel hopeless in the first place.

I do feel rather hopeless. I've been bed ridden for five years, But really the Internet is more than enough opportunity for anyone. People are amazed that I view my disability in such a positive way, but as far as accomplishing goals, I've been unsuccessful at that with or without our Vegetable Friends.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice, I think I will take it and leave it. :love:

Egg

Post by Egg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm

I think what you're feeling is natural. I don't think this is as abnormal as you would think. Being a self starter isn't the norm.

A good idea is to get yourself a job or something that is structured that you will have to do and then do one of your projects on the side. This way you're not dependent on it.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm

tao wrote:
Anyway, I appreciate the advice, I think I will take it and leave it. :love:
Your choice. And your responsibility too.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm

If you are not mobile, I certainly can see how that could be a mental set back. But you do seem to have coped, at least partially, with that situation. Maybe an outside source can help with business startup opportunities.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:22 pm

I suspect the drug advice was targeting recreational usage. I could be mistaken.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Pigeon wrote:I suspect the drug advice was targeting recreational usage. I could be mistaken.
It was. I was not talking about drugs as in needed medicine.

tao

Post by tao » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Pigeon wrote:I think you have run across the fact that reasonably hard work and honesty gets a person almost nothing in today's world.
Well the world is definitely not set up to encourage that sort of thing, except among individual groups sometimes, and capitalism is really just a system, as far as I can see, that encourages natural selection. This process apparently evolved humans to where we are today, and amazingly granted us this wonderful ability, more or less, to eventually, if we survive, choose for ourselves what the next evolutionary step will be.

I don't know what a realistic working alternative to capitalism would involve. I think the first step would be to pull our heads out of the sand and to stop judging ourselves and other people. As animals we usually work through domination; as predatory animals we use deception. Hopefully with this new vehicle of consciousness we will be able to separate the animal from our species. Of course since we are animals, but with amazing power, what it means to be human is ultimately up to us.