NASA sending two spacecraft to the moon.

UFOs have a separate forum.
Pam
Princess Feet

NASA sending two spacecraft to the moon.

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 pm

(CNN) -- NASA's upcoming GRAIL mission will provide new information about how the moon formed and will allow students to take their own pictures of its surface, panelists announced at a news conference at NASA headquarters in Washington on Thursday.

GRAIL (the Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory) will send two spacecraft to the moon, most likely next month. The 42-day launch window begins September 8, GRAIL project manager David Lehman said. Those working on the project at Kennedy Space Center added extra shifts to get the spacecraft secured ahead of Hurricane Irene's landfall, Lehman said.

The two spacecraft will be launched in the same housing, which will separate. They will enter synchronized orbits in January, principal investigator Maria Zuber said. The slow trip saves energy. Once in orbit, their speeds will increase when they pass over formations on the moon's surface, allowing scientists to measure those formations based on the distance between the two spacecraft.

The project aims to study how the moon formed, its interior composition and why the side seen from Earth looks so different from the "far side," which isn't as dark because of lava flows, Zuber said.

"Clearly we don't understand what is happening inside the moon," she said.

GRAIL is also partnering with Sally Ride Science to set up "MoonKAM," an educational program. Teachers will be able to register their classes and allow their students to explore specific regions of the moon in detail through pictures taken by the spacecraft.

"MoonKAM will serve as eyes on the moon," said Leesa Hubbard, teacher in residence at the Sally Ride Center in San Diego.

Hubbard said undergraduates at the University of San Diego will serve as "a link," passing the images through the MoonKAM website to middle school students around the world. The students will be able to select their own "target areas" of the moon's surface to capture on camera.

"You never know what a student will be inspired to do with those images that are their very own," Hubbard said.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/25/nasa.m ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I wondered if they would ever get around to doing the obvious, that is check out the closest thing in a bit more detail first.

Pigeon

Re: NASA sending two spacecraft to the moon.

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 pm

This could be cool. Waiting.

Egg

Post by Egg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Very cool.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm sick of the fucking moon. They oughta hire Dr Geezer to blow that damned thing up.
"If you don't think to good, don't think too much." Yogi

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:37 pm

lkwalker wrote:I'm sick of the fucking moon. They oughta hire Dr Geezer to blow that damned thing up.
Hey, it's Martian's job to have a meltdown every time NASA does something with the tax money they stole out of his pockets!

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:39 pm

I don't give a shit about tax money. They can burn it for all I care. My problem with the moon is that it ruins a perfectly dark sky. Plus it's pretty dusty.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 pm

lkwalker wrote:I don't give a shit about tax money. They can burn it for all I care. My problem with the moon is that it ruins a perfectly dark sky. Plus it's pretty dusty.
I love the Moon, you annoying person.

Yesterday it was this big, golden sickle blade on the night sky, I stood outside for a long while and just admired its beauty.

lkwalker

Post by lkwalker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 pm

After the old geezer blows it up you can paint one on your bedroom window. Same shit.

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Pam wrote:
(CNN) -- NASA's upcoming GRAIL mission will provide new information about how the moon formed and will allow students to take their own pictures of its surface, panelists announced at a news conference at NASA headquarters in Washington on Thursday.

GRAIL (the Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory) will send two spacecraft to the moon, most likely next month. The 42-day launch window begins September 8, GRAIL project manager David Lehman said. Those working on the project at Kennedy Space Center added extra shifts to get the spacecraft secured ahead of Hurricane Irene's landfall, Lehman said.

The two spacecraft will be launched in the same housing, which will separate. They will enter synchronized orbits in January, principal investigator Maria Zuber said. The slow trip saves energy. Once in orbit, their speeds will increase when they pass over formations on the moon's surface, allowing scientists to measure those formations based on the distance between the two spacecraft.

The project aims to study how the moon formed, its interior composition and why the side seen from Earth looks so different from the "far side," which isn't as dark because of lava flows, Zuber said.

"Clearly we don't understand what is happening inside the moon," she said.

GRAIL is also partnering with Sally Ride Science to set up "MoonKAM," an educational program. Teachers will be able to register their classes and allow their students to explore specific regions of the moon in detail through pictures taken by the spacecraft.

"MoonKAM will serve as eyes on the moon," said Leesa Hubbard, teacher in residence at the Sally Ride Center in San Diego.

Hubbard said undergraduates at the University of San Diego will serve as "a link," passing the images through the MoonKAM website to middle school students around the world. The students will be able to select their own "target areas" of the moon's surface to capture on camera.

"You never know what a student will be inspired to do with those images that are their very own," Hubbard said.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/25/nasa.m ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I wondered if they would ever get around to doing the obvious, that is check out the closest thing in a bit more detail first.

Mission received.

Mungodave

Post by Mungodave » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Personally, I cant wait till some young student finds a neatly coiled tow rope and proves Lear right.