Pana asked me to start a thread on Freedom..

Pana

Re: Pana asked me to start a thread on Freedom..

Post by Pana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Do you not think that's it's harder to impose on the political freedom of many than it is to impose on the political freedom of the few?

The collective will of many can be tremendous thing.

Key word: collective

As we focus on more on the individual whims, as a collective we become weak.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

MrPenny

Post by MrPenny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Pana wrote:As we focus on more on the individual whims, as a collective we become weak.
In that is an inkling of just how much of a threat the Internet and its technology can be.

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Key word: collective
Collective: Two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

Member of the Collective: A weak kneed wimp who wants Mommy Collective to wipe his ass for him.
Credo quia absurdum.

TraumaT

Post by TraumaT » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

MrPenny wrote:
Pana wrote:As we focus on more on the individual whims, as a collective we become weak.
In that is an inkling of just how much of a threat the Internet and its technology can be.
Internet also provides a channel where individuals or political groups can be heard internationally, people or groups who may not have had that possibility before if they live in a dictatorship....

So Internet may be a very good thing too, I think.

Pana

Post by Pana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 pm

TraumaT wrote:
MrPenny wrote:
Internet also provides a channel where individuals or political groups can be heard internationally, people or groups who may not have had that possibility before if they live in a dictatorship....

So Internet may be a very good thing too, I think.
But this is an interesting aspect and one that I've been thinking alot about for the last few years.

The internet can be used as a medium to get messages out to people as what has been witnessed this past year with the uprisings in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Syria, etcetera. I think these places have more of a 'collective stake' - they still have large extended families intact, neighbourhoods where there is still a collective buy in, one religious involvement, and so on. So the internet as a medium can ride on these.

In our societies, there is less of a community involvement, less extended families network and so on. The internet seems to cater more to individual needs as opposed to becoming a thing that brings together.

What do you think?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Dr Exile

Post by Dr Exile » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 pm

It's also a nice venue for ghetto feral hominids to organize flash mobs to rob, rape and commit general mayhem.
Credo quia absurdum.