Strange Loops II

Pigeon

Strange Loops II

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:00 am

A strange loop, technically called tangled hierarchy consciousness, arises when, by moving only upwards or downwards through a hierarchical system, one finds oneself back where one started.

Strange loops may involve self-reference and paradox. The concept of a strange loop was proposed and extensively discussed by Douglas Hofstadter in Gödel, Escher, Bach.

Definitions

A strange loop is a hierarchy of levels, each of which is linked to at least one other by some type of relationship. A strange loop hierarchy, however, is "tangled" in that there is no well defined highest or lowest level; moving through the levels, one eventually returns to the starting point, i.e., the original level. Examples of strange loops that Hofstadter offers include: many of the works of M. C. Escher, the information flow network between DNA and enzymes through protein synthesis and DNA replication, and self-referential Gödelian statements in formal systems.

Pana

Re: Strange Loops

Post by Pana » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Shudder.

That's my worst nightmare:

To constantly be moving and always ending right back where you started from.

No escape.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

-Albert Camus

Pigeon

Re: Strange Loops

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Seems this is a dup thread.

Pigeon

Re: Strange Loops II

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Seems that is a part of life for some. Think about obsession and drive. Someone reaches for a goal, sports victory, money, some fame and then after getting it they go for it again. These people are captured.

Pana

Post by Pana » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 pm

You are correct.

My son has a video game called the orange box. To my undiscerning eye, it just seems like he exits from one room into a room exactly the same and this continues forever. He assures me that is not the case but i can't watch it. It drives me mad. Forever trapped.

Desires keep people trapped which is partially what you are saying.

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Pigeon wrote:Seems that is a part of life for some. Think about obsession and drive. Someone reaches for a goal, sports victory, money, some fame and then after getting it they go for it again. These people are captured.
Ouroboros.

Pana

Post by Pana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 am

I see the ouroborus as recreating itself. Life giving life. Which is infinitistinal.

Very different from the closed loop which is constantly hungering and never feeding itself.

One brings life.

The other takes it away.

-Albert Camus

Royal

Post by Royal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 am

Fascinating. I guess it's representative of the invisible link to us all.